So the good news is...

Thursday, June 18, 2009

I have a majorly huge cucumber plant (8 feet long!) who produces delicious slicing cucumbers all for me to eat (nobody else in this house wants them). I am so proud of this cucumber plant because I grew it from seed. It's like my third child that way haha. It tasted delicious chilled with a little lime and salt.

And the bad news is that the beans and peas aren't doing too well. I was talking to this gardening buff lady who said it's been a super hard year to garden because of the irregular temperatures and rainfall (lucky me!). We'll see if they can survive the drought now.
The other things producing now in the garden are basil, thyme, parsley, rosemary, serrano pepper, roma and celebrity tomatoes. The first fruits of the tomatoes had bottom rot. But I got this calcium stuff for the soil and hopefully the second round will be alright. The cilantro plant dried up and I got a TON of seeds (it's not a summer plant). So if anybody wants some leave me a comment and I'll save them for you. I am for sure planting them in the fall, fresh cilantro is the best!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

YUM!! What's bottom rot, and what does it make your plants look like? Because my zucchini is going down, FAST! Ok, and I didn't know cilantro wasn't a summer plant, and mine stopped growing before I got any seeds! The things you find out your first year of gardening...!

Erin said...

Yay, what a beautiful cucumber! I am glad you can enjoy them all to yourself! Sorry about the other plants. My plants didn't fair to well while we were away. I guess I really should've had you water them. Oh well. They may be on the road to recovery. So, I'm home by the way. Sorry I haven't called or anything. I think I am still getting back into life. We'll have to see about getting together next week. I'm dying in this heat after being in the cooler weather, eek!

Hollygram said...

Shelly,

Congratulations!!! You have a green thumb!! It is nice to live off the land..