Emma's Potty Trained!

Monday, March 29, 2010

Emma's potty story.

My friend told me the story of how she trained her baby at 2-1/2 years old by doing "potty immersion". She went to the library and rented every book and video for kids about pottying. Then for one or two weeks, they read and watched nothing else but potty books and movies. I thought this was a very practical approach and decided to give it a try. After 2 weeks of potty media I started letting her go diaper free for a convenient block of time, say all morning before nap. I this was more for me than anything - getting used to no diapers and a ticking peeing time bomb :)

The real progress came when we went 2 days diaper and pull-up free. Emma would scream, "I need to go to the potty!" as she was peeing haha. Regardless if she was soaking or semi-soaked, I would sit her on the potty in that moment. After wetting herself for one and a half days, she got it and has only had 1 peeing accident in a month's time. Day 3 she was going without diapers and pull-ups for naps and bedtime and has been ever since.

Now the number 2....well, everyone tells me that's a different proficiency exam and it seems to be true. We've had about half make it in the potty :) I have to be very diligent about timing and make her sit a while for it to happen. She's been very good when we go out and usually holds out for her own special potty. She's done a fabulous job!

It was easier than I thought and I should have done it before because she was ready, but I wasn't! Plus, Emmanuel is terrified of potty accidents, so I think he rubbed off on me! Thanks to Erin and Lexi for all their tips. I could sing the potty song right about now....haha.

1 comments:

Hollygram said...

Emma,

I don't think I have ever seen anyone so happy to go potty!!

Sounds as if potty boot camp worked!!!

Emma, may the "force" be with you!! :)

Love you lots,

Hollygram