Terrible 2's and the Mexican Consulate

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Yesterday Emmanuel needed to renew his Mexican passport, and Emma and I decided to go (he did take the morning off from work, so we wanted to be with him!). Well, the process, start to finish, ended up keeping us downtown from about 10am to 2pm, with no nap break for Emma. If we'd known it was going to take so long, we would have planned differently...

Emma and I waited in the A/C inside the Mexican Consulate while Papi ran around the block getting cash, copies, etc. During this 45 min., Emma went through my whole purse, including snacks, books, camera, cell phone, wallet...until she was sick of it. Then, she proceeded to pushing the stroller around in circles around the waiting area. When she got sick of that, there was no choice but to let her roam. She found the staircase and we quietly starting climbing. When we got to the top, I noticed there were some guys in suits talking and it looked pretty professional, so I carried her to the bottom. She didn't mind this until the 3rd time. Then she started WAILING. At this point, I could do nothing to please her. At the same time, one lady (speaking Spanish) told me to keep her quiet because there was a meeting upstairs. Then, 1 minute later, another lady told me the same thing. I was thinking in my head, "Does it look like I am trying to make her cry? What do you want me and my huge belly to do?". So then, I got really embarrassed and fed up with Emma's now temper tantrum, strapped her in the stroller, and left. So some might say we got kicked out, some might say I chose to leave, but the way I see it, I had no choice but to leave.

After that, I was able to get my hands on some real bribe food, and Emma was happy. We had some rather enjoyable family time walking around downtown and playing in the fountains. She was super tired, but was activated by food and fun things to do. She slept 3 and a half hours when we got home.

I tell this story because it was the first time I honestly lost control of my toddler. I'd say this must be the start of the terrible 2's? She has been so much harder to please when she's not in perfect condition (well fed, no sleepies). It seems like all in the same week she learned how to spit, scream, and endure to put up a fight.

So if she starts this at one and a half, does that mean she'll end at two and a half? I want my sweet, easy to please, sits through root canals baby back! Haha. No, but at the same time, she is talking SO much, learning and repeating new words every minute she's awake, and she gives kisses and hugs and tells us she loves us. So, there are definetely trade-offs. This new crazy tantrum thing will surely pass :)

5 comments:

Leah said...

Well, Kara is 3-1/2 and still has quite the attitude. I hoping by age 4 she'll stop with the sass? Good luck with your little girl! :)

Erin said...

Don't you just love those public tantrums? Sounds like maybe you are just starting to experience them but sorry to say it might be something you experience alot more often for awhile. But for your sake I hope not. Just the joys of toddlers I guess. It is fun though when they are learning lots and it's a good thing they do cute things to make up for the bad! Glad you had some family time and that your computer is back. Oops, I bet you were glad you weren't the one to spill water on the laptop. Well, good luck with Emma and hopefully that was just a fluke because she was tired and hungry. You'll be having your next one and moving before you know it. Good luck!

Michelle said...

Public tantrums are a beast! So embarrassing and being pregnant during the whole thing is just the icing on the cake! Hopefully they don't happen too often for your sake!

{ Lana Cox } said...

Wow, first time you've lost control of Emma in public, I'd say you're doing pretty good :) The two's, it's a love hate relationship isn't it. Devan can do the cutest/funniest/sweetest things one second and the next just be terrible. It keeps you on your toes that's for sure.

Katie Smith said...

Yeah, Jack has attitude too...and it started about the time he was 1 1/2. I wondered myself it would then be better by the time he was 2 1/2, but I've heard 3 is worse than 2. Great! Oh well, all you can do is your best. You are so patient that I'm sure you'll handle it all just fine!