Our Two Babies

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Emma really wanted to hold Ben, and when I actually let her, she got a kick out of it.
Sometimes she needed a little help :) Check out his smile!
Ben covered in blocks and completely content with it.
Emma playing blocks with her brother...she actually says the word "share" while she is piling them on...

Ben is oficially 3 weeks now. Emma has been doing great with the transition. She needs a reminder or two to be gentle, but otherwise she's excited about her little pal Ben. Unfortunately, Emma has step throat right now and has been running a pretty high fever since Sat., so things aren't going as smoothly. I think last night was the worst of it (knock on wood). Thank goodness my mother in law is here for 6 more days, otherwise we'd all be crying. Poor Emma just wants mommy, so mom in law has taken over Ben for me.

Ben is getting chubbier and changing everyday. He turns his head to voices he knows now, and he smiles for me all the time. Nobody believes me though because I'm the only one who's noticed it. Today he was on my shoulder wide awake and he stretched up his neck straight up without help, leaned back a little, and looked right at me. Haha I guess he wanted to see my face. I loved that moment. I bet he's more than 8 pounds now. He finally fully fills (say that 5 times fast) the newborn and preemie clothing we have for him. We are bottle feeding and nursing at least for now. I don't know why I find nursing so hard! It seems so easy for the moms that exclusively breastfeed.

And that leads me to me and Mr. Garrido. You know, the second kid is way different for us. We don't feel as...hopeless haha. We know there will be an end to the fatigue. It's funny how the way you value your sleep and eating habits change with each kid. It was a shock with Emma to not be sleeping 8 hours a night. Now, we don't really care or pay that much attention to it. Like I said, it must be because we know it will pass. I think we kind of got converted into warrior parents or something with the birthing experience, too. If we can handle that intensity of an experience, these bouts of uncomfortable sleepy nights and days are nothing, right?

8 comments:

Erin said...

What cute pictures of your two kids together! I especially love that first one with Emma's big beautiful smile and Ben is so alert. I haven't seen him a whole lot but I can tell he's changing. I'm glad Emma is doing pretty good with the transition. That's cute she likes to play and share with him. I'm sorry she's got strep right now, that really is no fun with a new baby around. Thank goodness for moms. If you need any help with anything I'm just next door, please let me know. I hate to bother people so I tend to stay away but really I'm right here and would love to help you in anyway. Especially after your extra help is gone if you need a little break and want Emma to come over and play or something. Hope Emma gets feeling better soon!

Brandi said...

Hey Michelle! What cuties you guys have! I really like the pictures. What a good big sister Emma is! Hope that Emma gets feeling better, that's not fun to be that sick! Hope that you get a few nights of good sleep soon! Take care!

Halsey said...

AAHHH!!! I can't handle how adorable your kids are!! I love you! I hope you can get some sleep soon. Ah, the joys of children. It's like Lehi said, no children equals no misery but no joy either.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness Shell!
Ben is so beautiful, he looks like he could be a girl, he has the most amazing eyes i've ever seen, Emma and Ben are going to be the best looking brother and sister ever.
That first picture is so cute...aw i love them!
<3

Hollygram said...

Dear Garrido Family,

Emma and Ben are just beautiful!! The photos are super..
Thank you for sharing..
God bless you all!
Love,
Hollygram

{ Lana Cox } said...

Hi Michelle,

Ben is so cute, I love how he's filled out. it looks like him and Emma are good pals. I can't believe I haven't seen you for so long. When your company leaves I'd love to bring you dinner.

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle and Emanuel!
Congratulations for your new baby, Ben is really cute. You are a very nice family.
love
Elena and Ammon Garcia

Unknown said...

She is a great big sister! I hope things get better with her throat, (no fun I know).