Shrek's Baby

Sunday, November 30, 2008


I don't know what it is about Ben...I hesitate to make blanket statements about baby boys...but Emma was definitely not like this.

Let's just say that he has a special talent for pooping outside his diaper and spitting outside the parameters of the burp cloth. Today we were getting ready for church and we were literally standing at the door to leave when Ben started crying like he was hurting. So I scurried to get him out of the car seat, put him on my clean ironed shoulder, and he threw up all over me. I had to change my entire outfit, but he managed to keep his clean?! Then, when we got to church he got fussy again and I mixed up a bottle for him. When he finished it, I again put him on my shoulder to burp him, and I felt something wet on my hand. I looked down and my lap and center was covered with mustard-colored poop. At this point I just started crying, I couldn't help it. There's something about poop that makes you feel especially dirty I guess - and they were in the middle of passing the sacrament, so we were stuck. I was mortified having walked in late, and then we had to leave as soon as we got our water! I was covered in poop, my mascara was running down my face, and everybody was staring at us.

And this is what Ben's face looked like after he got it all out of his system and got cleaned up...he's fast asleep on the couch right now...and mom's headed for a nap herself. What a day.

5 comments:

Erin said...

Sorry you had a hard Sunday. That probably would have made me cry as well. I guess that is all part of the "joys" of motherhood.

Michelle said...

Oh man that stinks...literally! That's probably not too funny to you after the day you had. Abby was a major pooper as well. Not enjoyable! Have you seen those little dirty diaper travel bag dispensers? They've saved me many times over. I've seen them at Target and Wal-Mart. Hope you have a better day tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Hi Shelly,

What can I say.. "poop happens! :)

You are a great mother.. and I am sure you handled everything in stride!

You should receive your package tomorrow.. I am sure that will put a smile on your face.

Love,

H

Unknown said...

Oh you are getting me so "excited" to have that happen to me. :) It is a good thing babies are so cute and cuddly. Also I think he looks so much like Emmanuel in that thanksgiving picture. WOW!!

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha I read this and couldn't stop laughing. I'm sorry. Good times though...

I miss you and love you.