Veracruz: Chapter 3

Friday, March 6, 2009

Carnaval

Day 2 in Veracruz was the beginning of this huge parade to kick off the annual Carnaval - much like Mardi Gras, but more family-oriented (from what I saw, at least). This was also the first day we noticed Emma was not herself. Poor thing had an ear infection and we're dragging her all around town. Everybody was so excited to go to the parade I didn't want to be a party pooper and insist on putting the kids to bed instead. So, we went - and it was truly a disaster.



Papi and Ben waiting for a taxi to take us downtown.
Emma and Abuela Chagua waiting for the taxi, too.


Emma was so exhausted she passed out in Emmanuel's arms - despite the noise from the crowds.


One of the best-looking floats I saw.


Another cool float.


The disaster was this. We were sitting in bleachers. We got there last because we couldn't find a taxi to take all of us, and the lady in charge sold our seats. She managed to squeeze us in the entrance to the bleachers on the bottom row because she felt bad for selling our tickets. It was the highest traffic area of the whole set of bleachers because it was the entrance. Once the parade got going and it got dark out, people started getting really rude. They were standing up so no one could see, they were leaving and then coming back, and they took no notice to the 3 kids that were with us. The latter part is what ticked me off the most. So every time somebody decided to go get a drink, we all had to get up or move completely to make room for them to get out. Then once the parade started, those who didn't have tickets or seats tried to squeeze in the entrance without being noticed. This made our space go from very little to nothing at all. I put up with it for about 30 minutes for my in-laws sake's. Then I went ballistic. First, this mid-30's guy kept pushing up behind me. Then this flock of teenagers almost trampled Emma. I stood up, told my in-laws we had to leave NOW, and pushed through the crowd with Emma in my arms yelling "move!" and telling the lady in charge, "I can't believe we PAID for this!". I am still trying to figure out what happened to me haha. I really lost my cool. I think it was in part a claustrophobic reaction. And I was appalled by the way those people weren't taking any notice to our little ones and how Emma almost got hurt by one of them. Oh, and it was wicked late and I was worried about Emma's ear and getting her to bed. So, I made a scene, I pulled a "Dale Numbers", but it was worth it. I think my in-laws like me more because of it haha. At least they know now that I have a strong opinion once provoked, regardless of the language and I'm not some weird mute gringa.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm not sure if you'll appreciate my laughter at this story, but it's funny to me b/c I would have reacted the same way!! And I just see you as so sweet and kind, but when it comes to our kids, people better MOVE out of our way!!

Erin said...

I had to smile at your story too. But that would be enough to set someone off. I think I would've been going crazy as well. But I just love that you took charge and got you all out of there! Way to be Michelle! And I think it's funny you think your in-laws like you more because of it! Sorry it turned out that way but way to show em!

Unknown said...

ahora si vi a una Michelle enojada!
pero que te puedo decir!!!
A mí también me desesperó pero ya sabía que eso iba a pasar... así es en el carnaval...:)