My New Garden

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Early in March I got serious about wanting to start a vegetable and herb garden. I was in the research phase when some of our buddies came over for dinner. Before I knew it, we were digging up the backyard, buying equipment, and setting appointments to get the 2 yards of dirt we needed. It was hard to get started - it was a lot of hard manual labor and it took time we didn't think we had. I've said a million times that I wish I had a TX gardeners for dummies book. I really have no idea if this is going to work. But I had to give it all I had and set it up the best I knew how from my reading. So this is the picture-story of the setting up of our new garden:

The Martinez' helping us dig up the sod.

We couldn't believe all this dirt was going to fit in the 8 by 8 garden bed, but it did!


Building the bed up with landscaping timber.

All filled and ready for planting!

My little seedlings.


This was about a month ago, and so much has transpired since. To be continued...

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Very impressive, Michelle!! You've got more determination than me. Paul and I want to do a garden too, but just haven't done....well, anything! I'm excited to hear how it goes.

{ Lana Cox } said...

Awesome, we were going to start one this spring, but decided we'd wait until we have a truck to haul all of it! You'll have to keep us posted on how it goes. I do have a few herbs planted though :)

Erin said...

I'm just impressed every time I see your garden. You are just amazing, I'm proud of you! :) I hope you get lots of goods from it to make it all worth your while!

Leah said...

That's great! You'll have to put up some more pics so that we can see how it's growing.

Lau said...

Amiga...looks good I want to come see it sometime, Lau

Paul O said...

Hello again. Yeah, Lana and I are in the same ward.

Michelle said...

Lovely...that was me that said that last comment!