!Feliz cumpleanos a ti!

Sunday, January 13, 2008






It's amazing what can happen in a year. They come out helpless, with almost no sight, just with an instinct for survival. They can come into any climate into any country born to any mom anywhere, and around 9 months, they learn how to respond in your language. They learn to roll over, then sit up, lift up, and finally stand and walk. Emma went from 7 lbs. 6 oz. to 24 lbs 3 oz. Isn't it amazing? That's more than triple her birth weight! And babies around the world do it every year. I want to tell Emma, because essentially this blog will be for her and her future siblings, that I am so grateful for her in my life. It has been a trial to get through sleepless nights and days, doctor's visits and hours of crying, but all of those moments disappear more and more from my memory each day. They do so because they are replaced with the good - when you rest on my shoulder like you are hugging me - when you laugh at me when I make fish face - when you take steps and are so proud of yourself you laugh like a little drunkard - you have made me and your dad happier than ever. Thank you Emma, and thank you Heavenly Father for giving us a healthy beautiful baby girl.

Now for more pictures from our little party! We had over some of our closest friends (no more would fit in our apartment!) and we did a little decorating and just had fun! I made a coconut cake from scratch, and it actually came out delicious (it was my first time making a real cake). My sister-in-law gave us all of the leftover party things from Mexico, and so we used those too (she made the cow figure with balloons behind the cake). There were lots of pals for Emma to play with. When I see her with other kids I think she needs to get out more or get a younger brother or something (no, I am not pregnant). Oh, and I side note, Emma took 5 steps in a row today! Each day she gets a little better!

4 comments:

Katie Smith said...

Happy Birthday Emma! It looks like you guys had such a great time. We would have loved to be there to see that sweet, adorable Emma enjoy her first birthday. Can you believe how fast the last year has gone? It's nuts.

Anonymous said...

Cheli y Emma, FELICIDADES por su hermosa bebe!! :) esta BELLA!!! enserio que que bonita familia han formado...FELICIDADES!! ;)

Mike Smith said...

Looks like quite a party in Mexico. I remember going to one when I first arrived in Industrial, Emmanuel was there...

Felicidades!

Hollygram said...

Dear Emma,

Happy 1st Birthday... I wish I could have been there...You look so happy!

Even though we are miles apart.. always know that you remain in my heart.

Love,

Hollygram